Matt Cutts from the Web Spam team at Google showcases the good and the bad of WordPress as seen through the eyes of Google, including basics on how Google search works and how you can boost your blog’s results in Google searches.
WordPress, one of the popular open source content management systems is also widely popular for its community support. It has a vast directory of free themes and plugins. Earlier we have covered five handy WordPress plugins for Social Bookmarking and Image Galleries. Now, we are geared up with some handy Search Engine Optimization(SEO) plugins for WordPress.
This plugin will enable you to create an XML-Sitemap of your WordPress blog. It supports all of the WordPress generated pages(tags, categories, archives etc.,) as well as custom built pages. Each time you edit or create a post, your sitemap will be updated and all major search engines that support the sitemap protocol, like ASK.com, Google, MSN Search and YAHOO will be notified about the update.
In order to build the sitemap, you need to have write permissions to the root directory, where you WordPress blog is installed. It provides you with options to set priorities to posts, include/exclude specific pages and change the frequency of posts, static pages, categories etc., Once your sitemap is built it also displays the process time and the memory usage.
- User interface to customize all parameters like priorities etc.,
- Available in many languages.
- Generates automatically a sitemap for all types of WordPress pages.
- Calculates a priority for each post, based on the number of comments.
- Notifies Ask.com, Google, MSN Live Search and YAHOO about changes via ping.
- Includes a WordPress filter for other plugins which can add their pages to the sitemap.
- Generates a static XML file as well as a zipped version
OpenGoo, an easy to use open source web office software, which we have reviewed here, has just released its new version 1.5.1. In brief, OpenGoo is a web office software that allows a group of people to collaborate by sharing information over the Internet. It is a complete solution for every organization to create, collaborate, share and publish all its internal and external documents. You can plan and manage all your projects, easily following the status of every task, set milestones, pending tasks, personal notes etc.,
Several bugs from version 1.5 were fixed for this release, including:
- Tags permissions: Now a user can only see tags applied to objects that the user can view.
- Custom properties defined in Administration are now searchable.
- Memory exhausted error when rendering repetitive tasks with an old date in the calendar.
- Fatal error “undefined function save FileAttributes” when uploading a file.
- Fixed default user preferences’ rendered value.
- Fixed a rendering problem in comments and descriptions that would skip a character before an email address or link.
- Tags query was using a hardcoded ‘og_’ table prefix.
- Fixed the permissions control when editing a workspace’s permissions.
- Fixed a small rendering problem with invited users in event edition.
- Fixed error when sending emails to empty recipients.
- Translate OpenGoo tool now includes subfolders of language folders. Checklang also improved.
- Files of type audio/mp3 are now correctly identified as MP3.
- Updated languages.
You might want to check out a demo of Opengoo here.
Download OpenGoo 1.5.1 here.