Matt Mullenweg of Automattic, the makers of one of the most popular blog software, WordPress, answers questions from the WordPress community, including making money from open source products, migrating from WordPress.com to WordPress.org, the history of WordPress, the roles system in WordPress, core vs. plugins, blog comments, WordPress security, and more.
Source: WordPress TV
BuddyPress, is a set of plugins and themes, which can be used to extend the functionality of WordPress MU and bring social networking features to a new or existing installation. These suite of plugins can be used either independently or cumulatively to create a complete social network. Some specific plugins could also be used to add desirable features to your existing blog network.
BuddyPress has recently released its new version 1.1. This new release includes a substantial number of core code improvements as well as an array of useful new features.
Some highlights of this version are:
- One click internal bbPress forum integration. This allows you to set up group forums in no time.
- A global forum directory (example) allowing you to easily browse public facing forum posts regardless of the group they are attached to.
- Completely re-written theme handling. Now, one theme controls all of your installation. There is no hidden HTML and everything is in the template ready for you to tweak.
- Easily create themes that are upgraded automatically when BuddyPress is updated.
- Total site administrator control of all content within an installation. Edit user’s profiles, update avatars, mark users as spammers, manage all groups, delete site activity entries.
- Activity streams everywhere. Activity streams can be filtered allowing for feature specific activity streams or adding an activity stream to your custom plugin.
- A new status updates feature is included in BuddyPress 1.1. Actions and filters are included to allow plugin developers to hook into any external service.
- An awesome group extension API allowing developers to easily extend groups and add completely new features.
Download the latest version of BuddyPress here.
Movable Type, an open source blog software, which we have reviewed here has released its new version 4.32.
MT4.32 has fixed some of the minor bugs from the previous releases. And, MT4.32 is now bundled with the Zemanta plugin. Zemanta can be very helpful in the case where you need an image, links to related articles, help with tags for an entry, etc., to have a more compelling blog entry.
You might want to check out the Zemanta FAQ for more details on how Zemanta’s services may be useful for you or your bloggers. You can disable the Zemanta plugin based on your needs. There are many ways to disable the Zemanta plugin additionally anyone with file-system access can remove the Zemanta plugin from the
plugins directory within the MT install.
Check out the bug fixes and other minor updates in Movable Type Version 4.32 here.
Source: Movale Type blog
The AdVantShop.NET team has recently released an updated version of v2.2.3 e-commerce engine. All the abilities of e-commerce have been largely extended in the new version. One of the new functions is AdVantShop.NETuploading / downloading goods catalogue from Microsoft Excel (.xls). Many of the online shops owners would like their sites to meet following requirements,
- Comfortable and easy working with e-commerce engine
- Stating the prices
- Working with payment systems
- Uploading the data to online-markets etc.
The updated AdVantShop.NET v2.2.3 simplifies working with your online shop. It has some considerable enhancements. Firstly, it enables you can upload your goods offers from Excel file or get the price-list from your shop in Microsoft Excel format (.xls). Meaning that it’s much easier now to operate price-lists both at the initial stage of working with online shop and at further stages. The only thing you need to do is to fill the xls-file with your goods, load it to your shop and start to sell the goods. Secondly, it has added the essential e-commerce function to this new version – Adjustable Options. This improvement allows to set up the goods options: color, length, size etc. For example, you can set different prices for each size of trousers. Finally, it’s available now to import your goods offers to the most popular on-line shopping services: Yandex.Market, Google Base, Shopping.com, Yahoo Shopping, PriceGrabber, Amazon.com and Shopzilla. You can promote your goods on the largest online shopping destinations. The updated AdVantShop.NET v2.2.3 is available as demo-version, version for downloading (for developers) or trial-version, that you can checked out at AdvantShop. For beginners it also offers a detailed video-guide for installing and operating the AdVantShop.NET e-commerce engine.
Zimplit, an easy-to-use content management system, has released a new version of its fully rebrandable content management system for hosting companies who want to provide easily editable websites for their customers.
Briefly, Zimplit is the easiest Open Source Content Management System. It is extremely lightweight, simple and customizable. It’s easy to install, and easy to use via a simple web interface. Zimplit doesn’t need a database and it consists of only a one core engine file.
The motivation behind Zimplit is that most private users and companies are using the hosting service for website hosting and it seems obvious that a client can get the hosting service as well as website creation tools from the same place. It seems also apparent that most hosting companies don’t provide any website creation tools at all.
Zimplit allows hosting companies to set up website creation tool in minutes and provide full service for the client. It allows hosting providers to keep and promote their own brand - meaning that the entire software’s interface can be modified to suit hosting provider’s own branding.
It provides not only a content management system, but also ready made and custom templates. The system also allows end users to choose suitable design templates. It will work on most hosting control panels like Plesk, cPanel, etc. It has a solution even for the small hosting companies who have a self made control panel. Apart from the installation process, it features a new updating process. Zimplit allows updating the whole service from one place and all hosting provider clients will get the updates instantly.
It’s very search engine friendly and helps you setup your website in few minutes without having to setup a database.
It enables you to preview the theme live, save and download your WordPress theme as a zip file. It lets you design a complete WordPress theme with widget support in an easy and fast way, without any knowledge of programming languages.
Elgg, one of the popular open source social networking platforms, which we have mentioned here, has released a draft road map highlights the key featues for the yet to be released Elgg 1.7.
Some of its highlights include,
- Privacy, shared access collections
- Full text search
- The Wire re-factored -> conversational micro-blogging etc.,
Privacy, shared access collections:
The shared access collections will provide a way for users to create an access collection to which they invite in other users. Once the invitation has been accepted, all users get the new access collection as an access option on new objects created; blog post, files, pages and so on.
The Wire re-fractored
Many of the Elgg plugins are being re-worked to enhance their functionality. The new wire plugin is being highlighted, which would serve as a simple yet effective plugin for conversational micro-blogging.
Threaded replies are now supported within a completely redesigned UI that clusters these 140 character-driven conversations and floats the most recent ones to the top.
Check out the latest updates from Elgg here.
XOOPS, which is an extensible ‘Object Oriented’ web application platform and an ideal tool for development of small or large community websites, has announced the availability of its latest release version 2.4.0 RC.
This release includes many bugfixes and user experience improvements, done by XOOPS core development team and XOOPS community.
Some of the major improvements in this release include:
- A new Admin GUI
- New mechanism to modularize and extend Core
- Central support for jQuery
- Improved Installer WCAG 2.0 – Sight Impaired Assisted Forms
- Themeable Admininstration area
- New WYSIWYG Editors: wymeditor, Xinha, and Spaw2
Download XOOPS 2.4.0 RC here.
JobberBase, which is an Open Source job board web software written in PHP/MySQL and which we have reviewed here is now out with a new version. If you haven’t tried out JobberBase yet, you can check out a live demo here. JobberBase version 1.8 is loaded with new features and core updates since it’s launched, including themes support.
Here are some of the new features:
- Ability to change all settings from Admin Panel instead of config.php
- Improved and Paginated Search
- Editable Job-Url Structure
- Editable locations
- Recaptcha Support
- Database Prefix Support
- Dynamic Menus in Header and Footer
- Multiple Theme Support
- City Cloud Page
- SMTP Mail Support
Download JobberBase 1.8 here.
Gallery, an open source web based photo album organizer, which we have recently reviewed has released its new version 3.0 beta 3. Gallery 3 is based on 4 key principles, keeping it small, intuitive, fast and extensible. Gallery 3 is 4.5 MB with all of its features, which is significantly less in size compared to other similar applications.
The key features in this new release include,
- Configurable custom URLs for each album, photo or movie
- Greatly improved user interface for administration pages
- Systematic fixes for Cross Site Security (XSS) vulnerabilities.
- New, extensible context menus for albums, photos and movies.
- Better support for viewing full size images
- Rewritten Organize module. It’s got a little less functionality now, but it’s much cleaner and will be a primary focus for the next release.
- Tags are now searchable
- Much improved bidirectional language support