What’s new in version 2?
- A new, more efficient user interface that makes it faster to switch between comments, posts, and pages.
- Various user interface refinements and bug fixes
- New Comments interface, with Gravatars and the author URL shown in the comment list
- Passwords are now stored in the keychain
- Posts are now automatically saved and restored if network connection is lost during publishing
- Added persistence, so the app re-opens in the blog you last used
- Added an interface for manually entering the XMLRPC endpoint for non-standard setups
- Fixed rotation-related visual glitches
- Fixed errors where malformed XML prevented access to XMLRPC endpoint
- Fixed edge case where local drafts were sometimes not saved
- Fixed the order of photos so that they’re displayed in the order they’re uploaded
WordPress 2 will install as an entirely new application on your phone, and won’t overwrite any previous version of the app you have installed. When you launch the new app, you’ll immediately see “Version 2.0? at the bottom of the screen. Once you’re no longer using the previous version of the app, you can safely remove it from your device, and version 2.0 will be unaffected.
Source: WordPress for iPhone
BuddyPress has been recently updated to version 1.1.2. It’s now available via an automatic upgrade or as a manual download. This is an important security release and fixes two vulnerabilities found in version 1.1.1. To stay protected it is essential that you upgrade to this version of BuddyPress regardless of the version you are currently running.
Briefly, BuddyPress is a set of plugins and themes, which can be used to extend the functionality of WordPress MU and bring social networking features to a new or existing installation. These suite of plugins can be used either independently or cumulatively to create a complete social network. Some specific plugins could also be used to add desirable features to your existing blog network.
Following issues have been fixed in this updated version,
- SQL and XSS security vulnerability.
- Certain situations where a site admin could not see invisible groups.
- Bug with user access level and navigation menu items.
- Double posting of new status updates to activity streams on first post.
- “Total posts” number inconsistencies on profile wires.
- Account deletion bug.
- Spammed user access.
Download BuddyPress here
The Joomla project has recently announced the immediate availability of its new release, Joomla 1.6 alpha 2. This release contains many new features requested by the community. Other features are listed below as well as what you can expect in the future for Joomla 1.6.
This is an alpha release. It is intended to be a developer/hobbyist preview and is not intended to be used on a production web site.
New improvements/features since alpha 1 include:
- ACL: access management for global permissions as well as content item specific permissions, variable user-groups, users member of more than one user-group, permissions are inherited, really fast
- Extendable user profile, profile view in frontend, extendable user parameters
- Improved com_content modules (mod_articles_archive, mod_articles_latest, mod_articles_popular)
- Article linker plugin for editors
- New frontend template (atomic)
- Tableless com_content layouts
- New backend template (bluestork)
- New uploader for media manager
Other Joomla 1.6 improvements that existed in alpha 1:
- Mootools 1.2
- Refactored back-end
- Nested Categories and category parameters
- New views in front-end: categories, category
- Lots of small code improvements, almost cut the code size in half while adding to the functionality
- PHP 5.2 required, huge performance improvements, partially eaten up by new features => 1.6 will be faster than 1.5
Download Joomla here
OpenGoo, an easy to use open source web office software, which we have reviewed here, has just released its new version 1.6. In brief, OpenGoo is a web office software that allows a group of people to collaborate by sharing information over the Internet. It is a complete solution for every organization to create, collaborate, share and publish all its internal and external documents. You can plan and manage all your projects, easily following the status of every task, set milestones, pending tasks, personal notes etc.,
This is the first beta release towards version 1.6 final.
The most important changes for this version are:
Archive objects and workspaces:
- When you no longer need an object or workspace you can archive it to remove it from your every day views, while it still is searchable and accessible through the “Archived Objects” workspace.
Mark as read/unread for all types of objects
- Until now the read/unread functionality was only available for emails. Now it is also available for all other types of content objects. If an object was modified since your last view it will be marked in bold for you to quickly notice that it has changes. Once you view the object it will be marked as read.
Tons of improvements to the email module
- Share mail accounts among several users. This allows several users to read or write email from one common email account.
- Assign a workspace to a mail account to automatically classify email to that workspace.
- Group emails into conversations. Quickly access an email’s replies or original message from the email’s view.
- Attach files directly from your computer when writing an email.
- Send other emails as attachments. Just attach an email and mark the “Attach contents” checkbox.
- Email Junk folder. Mail classified as spam by your mail server is sent to the “Junk” folder.
- Emails are sent asynchronously. You can continue working on OpenGoo while an email is being sent. Useful if sending email through a remote SMTP server.
- Create task from email. Shortcut to quickly create a task from an email.
- Insert inline images into OpenGoo emails.
- Pre-configurations for known emails (GMail, Hotmail, Yahoo) when setting up an email account.
Upgraded the document editor
- Improved loading times. The new version loads much faster on all browsers.
- Improved cross-browser compatibility.
- Improved functionality. Insert images into a document, from the computer or from OpenGoo.
Lots of other improvements and bug fixes have been made in this release, read more.
You might want to check out a demo of Opengoo here.
Movable Type, an open source blog software, which we have reviewed here has recently released its new version 5 beta 4. Included in this release is the first website theme for the “Professional Website Theme” and many other bug fixes. Movable Type team mentioned that Beta 4 will be the last beta before there are two release candidates. And, the launch of Movable Type version 5 is targeted for late November.
Some of the major improvements in this release are,
- “Professional Website Theme” is added as a new theme
- WebsiteLabel has changed to WebsiteName
- Remove the definition of active users from app
- Keep a compatibility of plugins
- Create “MultiBlog Trigger” for “All blogs in this website”
- MultiBlog Trigger also for “Pages” not only for “Entries”
- UI: “Created, Published, Edited” date and time of the entry
- DOC: FastCGI: Unable to access with XML-RPC
Download the Movable Type version 5 Beta 4.
Over the past two months, the WordPress team has been working on the new features for the yet to be released WordPress 2.9. The major focus of the development is to make WordPress as secure as possible.
In this new release of WordPress version 2.8.5, some security changes have been made to make all your sites as secure as possible.
The key changes in this release are:
- A fix for the Trackback Denial-of-Service attack that is currently being seen.
- Removal of areas within the code where php code in variables was evaluated.
- Switched the file upload functionality to be whitelisted for all users including Admins.
- Retiring of the two importers of Tag data from old plugins.
WordPress recommends that all sites are upgraded to this new version of WordPress to ensure that you have the best available protection.
Source: WordPress Blog
If you are worried about downloading a WordPress theme that contains malicious scripts or unwanted code, then you might want to to check out a new tool Theme Authenticity Checker (TAC). It scans all of your WordPress theme files for potentially malicious or unwanted code.
So, what does TAC do?
TAC searches the source files of every installed theme for signs of malicious code. If such code is found, TAC displays the path to the theme file, the line number, and a small snippet of the suspect code. It also searches for and displays static links.
If TAC finds something is malicious or simply unwanted, it tells you what file to edit. It even enables you to just click on the file path to be taken straight to the WordPress Theme Editor. TAC also lists static links. All listed static links might not be necessarily bad, it just lists them so you can quickly see where your theme is linking to.
After downloading and extracting the latest version of TAC,
- Upload tac.php to the /wp-content/plugins/ directory
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Go to Design -> TAC in the WordPress Administration
- The results of the scan will be displayed for each theme with the file name and line number of any threats.
Theme Authenticity checker is free to use and is compatible with WordPress 2.8.
Download Theme Authenticity Checker.
OpenX, one of the popular ad server software’s (mentioned here) has recently announced its new version 2.8.2. Briefly, OpenX is a free open source ad server software downloadable and installable on your server.
OpenX let you choose banners, campaigns and terms that fits you best. It has a sophisticated tracking system which lets you gather statistics and optimize the results. It enables you to take effective control of your advertising without having to spend much.
- Improvements to ad delivery: With OpenX 2.8.2, a number of changes to the delivery engine have been made to ensure the proper allocation of ads across contract campaigns. The resulting improvements will reduce the occurrence of under-delivery and over-delivery for all contract campaigns. This includes significant changes to maintenance as well as improvements to delivery.
- Improvements to campaigns using companion positioning: Prior to this new release, once a “companion” campaign served one ad on a page, it prevented any other campaigns from serving ads on the page, regardless of whether the companion campaign could fill all of the pages and ads itself. In OpenX 2.8.2, this behavior has been fixed, so if there are ads on the page that the companion campaign is unable to serve, they will be offered to other campaigns. This helps you to avoid serving blanks.
- Security updates: The OpenX team has completed a number of critical security updates to the ad server in OpenX 2.8.2 to reduce any potential vulnerabilities in the software.
- Resolution of a variety of issues relating to email/newsletter zones, performance, the user interface, and more.
If you haven’t tried out OpenX yet, you might want to check out the getting started with OpenX tutorial here.
Download OpenX here.
Recently Envato has launched a new marketplace design with great new features. Some of the popular Envato marketplace sites (FlashDen, ThemeForest, GraphicRiver, AudioJungle and VideoHive) have been given a novel design makeover and a huge upgrade in features and functionality.
The Envato marketplaces are a family of niche web sites which allow professionals to buy and sell digital items such as Flash files, website templates, WordPress themes, videos, music, code and more. Envato marketplace now has over 240,000 members worldwide, and is a hub for tens of thousands of digital items available for purchase with hundreds of new items being added everyday.
We are pleased to inform you that Envato has given MyTestBox a privilege to give away three 20$ credits for the Envato Marketplace. Winners of this contest can use their money across all the Envato marketplace sites and buy any items of their choice.
We, MyTestBox team, take this as an opportunity to give something in return to our loyal visitors, who provided us with nice feedback, News tips and kept the blog alive.
Picapp enables publishers to gain access to a plethora of premium images updated every minute. These images can be used in your blog posts at no cost!. PicApp holds over 20 million premium images covering a wide array of categories. It’s content aprtners include Getty Images, Corbis, Splash News, Pacific Coast News, Newscom, Image Source and more.
And, it supports popular blog platforms like WordPress, Blogger, TypePad and more. PicApp provides publishers with an amazing collection of images for free.
Following are a couple its intriguing features,
- SEO Booster: A built in mechanism which guarantees that each picapp image is indexed by search engines. It not only provides you with free access to premium images but also aids your blog with additional traffic.
- A WordPress plug-in to add images straight from your WP editor.