OpenGoo, an easy to use open source web office software, which we have reviewed here, has just released its new version 1.6. In brief, OpenGoo is a web office software that allows a group of people to collaborate by sharing information over the Internet. It is a complete solution for every organization to create, collaborate, share and publish all its internal and external documents. You can plan and manage all your projects, easily following the status of every task, set milestones, pending tasks, personal notes etc.,
This is the first beta release towards version 1.6 final.
The most important changes for this version are:
Archive objects and workspaces:
- When you no longer need an object or workspace you can archive it to remove it from your every day views, while it still is searchable and accessible through the “Archived Objects” workspace.
Mark as read/unread for all types of objects
- Until now the read/unread functionality was only available for emails. Now it is also available for all other types of content objects. If an object was modified since your last view it will be marked in bold for you to quickly notice that it has changes. Once you view the object it will be marked as read.
Tons of improvements to the email module
- Share mail accounts among several users. This allows several users to read or write email from one common email account.
- Assign a workspace to a mail account to automatically classify email to that workspace.
- Group emails into conversations. Quickly access an email’s replies or original message from the email’s view.
- Attach files directly from your computer when writing an email.
- Send other emails as attachments. Just attach an email and mark the “Attach contents” checkbox.
- Email Junk folder. Mail classified as spam by your mail server is sent to the “Junk” folder.
- Emails are sent asynchronously. You can continue working on OpenGoo while an email is being sent. Useful if sending email through a remote SMTP server.
- Create task from email. Shortcut to quickly create a task from an email.
- Insert inline images into OpenGoo emails.
- Pre-configurations for known emails (GMail, Hotmail, Yahoo) when setting up an email account.
Upgraded the document editor
- Improved loading times. The new version loads much faster on all browsers.
- Improved cross-browser compatibility.
- Improved functionality. Insert images into a document, from the computer or from OpenGoo.
Lots of other improvements and bug fixes have been made in this release, read more.
You might want to check out a demo of Opengoo here.
Movable Type, an open source blog software, which we have reviewed here has recently released its new version 5 beta 4. Included in this release is the first website theme for the “Professional Website Theme” and many other bug fixes. Movable Type team mentioned that Beta 4 will be the last beta before there are two release candidates. And, the launch of Movable Type version 5 is targeted for late November.
Some of the major improvements in this release are,
- “Professional Website Theme” is added as a new theme
- WebsiteLabel has changed to WebsiteName
- Remove the definition of active users from app
- Keep a compatibility of plugins
- Create “MultiBlog Trigger” for “All blogs in this website”
- MultiBlog Trigger also for “Pages” not only for “Entries”
- UI: “Created, Published, Edited” date and time of the entry
- DOC: FastCGI: Unable to access with XML-RPC
Download the Movable Type version 5 Beta 4.
Over the past two months, the WordPress team has been working on the new features for the yet to be released WordPress 2.9. The major focus of the development is to make WordPress as secure as possible.
In this new release of WordPress version 2.8.5, some security changes have been made to make all your sites as secure as possible.
The key changes in this release are:
- A fix for the Trackback Denial-of-Service attack that is currently being seen.
- Removal of areas within the code where php code in variables was evaluated.
- Switched the file upload functionality to be whitelisted for all users including Admins.
- Retiring of the two importers of Tag data from old plugins.
WordPress recommends that all sites are upgraded to this new version of WordPress to ensure that you have the best available protection.
Source: WordPress Blog
If you are worried about downloading a WordPress theme that contains malicious scripts or unwanted code, then you might want to to check out a new tool Theme Authenticity Checker (TAC). It scans all of your WordPress theme files for potentially malicious or unwanted code.
So, what does TAC do?
TAC searches the source files of every installed theme for signs of malicious code. If such code is found, TAC displays the path to the theme file, the line number, and a small snippet of the suspect code. It also searches for and displays static links.
If TAC finds something is malicious or simply unwanted, it tells you what file to edit. It even enables you to just click on the file path to be taken straight to the WordPress Theme Editor. TAC also lists static links. All listed static links might not be necessarily bad, it just lists them so you can quickly see where your theme is linking to.
After downloading and extracting the latest version of TAC,
- Upload tac.php to the /wp-content/plugins/ directory
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Go to Design -> TAC in the WordPress Administration
- The results of the scan will be displayed for each theme with the file name and line number of any threats.
Theme Authenticity checker is free to use and is compatible with WordPress 2.8.
Download Theme Authenticity Checker.
OpenX, one of the popular ad server software’s (mentioned here) has recently announced its new version 2.8.2. Briefly, OpenX is a free open source ad server software downloadable and installable on your server.
OpenX let you choose banners, campaigns and terms that fits you best. It has a sophisticated tracking system which lets you gather statistics and optimize the results. It enables you to take effective control of your advertising without having to spend much.
- Improvements to ad delivery: With OpenX 2.8.2, a number of changes to the delivery engine have been made to ensure the proper allocation of ads across contract campaigns. The resulting improvements will reduce the occurrence of under-delivery and over-delivery for all contract campaigns. This includes significant changes to maintenance as well as improvements to delivery.
- Improvements to campaigns using companion positioning: Prior to this new release, once a “companion” campaign served one ad on a page, it prevented any other campaigns from serving ads on the page, regardless of whether the companion campaign could fill all of the pages and ads itself. In OpenX 2.8.2, this behavior has been fixed, so if there are ads on the page that the companion campaign is unable to serve, they will be offered to other campaigns. This helps you to avoid serving blanks.
- Security updates: The OpenX team has completed a number of critical security updates to the ad server in OpenX 2.8.2 to reduce any potential vulnerabilities in the software.
- Resolution of a variety of issues relating to email/newsletter zones, performance, the user interface, and more.
If you haven’t tried out OpenX yet, you might want to check out the getting started with OpenX tutorial here.
Download OpenX here.
Recently Envato has launched a new marketplace design with great new features. Some of the popular Envato marketplace sites (FlashDen, ThemeForest, GraphicRiver, AudioJungle and VideoHive) have been given a novel design makeover and a huge upgrade in features and functionality.
The Envato marketplaces are a family of niche web sites which allow professionals to buy and sell digital items such as Flash files, website templates, WordPress themes, videos, music, code and more. Envato marketplace now has over 240,000 members worldwide, and is a hub for tens of thousands of digital items available for purchase with hundreds of new items being added everyday.
We are pleased to inform you that Envato has given MyTestBox a privilege to give away three 20$ credits for the Envato Marketplace. Winners of this contest can use their money across all the Envato marketplace sites and buy any items of their choice.
We, MyTestBox team, take this as an opportunity to give something in return to our loyal visitors, who provided us with nice feedback, News tips and kept the blog alive.
Picapp enables publishers to gain access to a plethora of premium images updated every minute. These images can be used in your blog posts at no cost!. PicApp holds over 20 million premium images covering a wide array of categories. It’s content aprtners include Getty Images, Corbis, Splash News, Pacific Coast News, Newscom, Image Source and more.
And, it supports popular blog platforms like WordPress, Blogger, TypePad and more. PicApp provides publishers with an amazing collection of images for free.
Following are a couple its intriguing features,
- SEO Booster: A built in mechanism which guarantees that each picapp image is indexed by search engines. It not only provides you with free access to premium images but also aids your blog with additional traffic.
- A WordPress plug-in to add images straight from your WP editor.
phpBB one of the popular open source forum softwares has announced the availability of the third release candidate for its next release – phpBB 3.0.6. phpBB 3.0.6 contains a many more features, bug fixes and changes than previous releases.
Following things have been changed since RC2:
- Revision r10079 has been reverted which enabled notifications and bookmarks being automatically copied over to splits of topics.
- Fixed the ReCaptcha plugin to support RTL
- Fixed the Q&A Captcha to not print out notices if the admin chose to remove all questions
- Fixed the ACP update page to print a failure message if phpbb.com is not reachable for the version check
- Fixed regression from r9678 (add_log() statements for removing posts/topics)
- updated acp forums copy style to look like the rest of the ACP
- Disabled copy forum permissions screen in forums creation/update workflow (we will revisit this one later)
- Fixed the “switch permissions” link
- Fixed ACP issues with long content by reverting revisions r10176 and r9647
- Changed language/en/email/pm_report_deleted.txt to change the reference to “post” to “private message”
- Changed notification about possibility to post private messages in UCP; this involves style changes. Style authors please look at the RC2 to RC3 code changes package if you already updated your styles to RC2.
- Updated the Custom Profile Fields option “view on viewtopic” based on previous settings in database updater
- Fixed wrong bbcode uid assigned if error triggered in quote/forward PM
- Fixed default group assignment if removing from default group and user was in newly registered group
- Correctly execute database update step for RC releases where admins forgot to enable the PHPBB_QA constant.
dotCMS, enterprise open source Java content management system announced recently that they have released a Windows installer for version 1.7 of their open source web content management system. This release makes it much easier to access the features of dotCMS. dotCMS windows installer is the easiest way to get started with the dotCMS system.
Streamlining the installation process is important for making the product more accessible.
“It is important to dotCMS that users of all technical levels are given the tools to get dotCMS up and running in a timely manner, “ said Will Ezell, CTO and principal of dotCMS. “We are working hard to meet the growing and evolving expectations of our marketplace, and will continue to do so.”
The Windows installer can be downloaded from the dotCMS website downloads page. The download includes all you need to get started, including the Java runtime environment, Postgresql database, Tomcat and the dotCMS system itself.
Movable Type, an open source blog software, which we have reviewed here has released its new version 5 beta 3. It includes many improvements and has various new user interface elements. Movable Type team mentioned that Beta 4 will be the last beta before there are two release candidates. And, the launch of Movable Type version 5 is targeted for late November.
Some of the major improvements in this release are,
- Automatic website provisioning based upon blog domain names during upgrade from MT4.x and MT3.x
- Allow sub-domain blogs under one single website.
- Selected tab is saved on “Websites and Blogs” widget on the user dashboard, so once the user clicks the “blogs” tab, this tab will be selected upon subsequent visits.
- Create New shortcut button on Website/Blog dashboard.
- Cleaner and simpler User Dashboard.
- Improved menu and button placement on [Edit Entry/Page] screens.
- Download a zipped theme file when user [Exports Theme].
- Display “SSI” enable/disable status icon on template listing screens.
- Display links to published pages when user searches templates.
- Do not create any sample pages when user create a new website or blog.
- Motion and Action Stream template-sets are unbundled from Pro pack. These should be re-arranged to themes or addons.
Read more about the updates in this release here.
Download the Movable Type version 5 Beta here.