Joomla! is one of the popular Content Management System’s around and it makes it easier for you to build websites and online applications. It is designed to offer enhanced site control and a more polished user experience. It’s extensibility has made it the most popular and downloaded open source website software in the industry today.
Key Features in Joomla 1.6:
- New Access Control System – Allows site administrators control over who can view and manage content.
- Unlimited Depth Organizational Model – Gives site administrators and content creators user-defined category levels that allow for the creation of a category tree with as many or as few levels for organizing articles and other content as needed.
- One-Click Extension Updates – Allows users to keep sites secure and controlled by simplifying the process of updating extensions.
- Semantic XHTML Layouts – Provides a better baseline for content presentation.
In addition, developers and implementers will enjoy the new ability Joomla 1.6 provides in allowing extensions to be built with granular control and permissions. This will make it easier to create more advanced, enterprise-focused applications and extensions for Joomla.
Source: Joomla! 1.6 now available
Joomla! is an award winning Content Management System(CMS) with a wide range of features. It’s a prolific CMS which is suitable for designing and maintaining any type of websites. Joomla has a modular architecture, providing the users with lots of options for extensibility. Apart from the fabulous modules, it is also well known for strong security, template’s system, extensive community support and the authorization framework.
Extensions for Joomla! provide further customization and aid in enhancing the functionality as well as the ease of administration. Joomla is a prolific CMS designed to organize and deliver content within a website environment.
Multimedia plays a key role in web designing and helps in providing wonderful user experience, but it requires effort and knowledge to utilize it effectively. We wanted to share an interesting book with you, Joomla! 1.5 Multimedia, which helps take advantage of this powerful CMS architecture to portray media-rich content on your websites.
Read the rest of this entry »
Read the rest of this entry »
Recently we reviewed the book, Joomla with Flash, build stunning, content-rich, and interactive websites with Joomla! 1.5 and Flash CS4.
As indicated in the review, the book, Joomla! with Flash, is aimed at explaining how to use Flash objects with Joomla! content with minimal efforts and maximum output.
We are pleased to inform you that we are giving away an exclusive copy of this book to a lucky winner.
Three simple rules to be eligible,
- Subscribe to our Email newsletter to stay updated with the latest news and reviews related to web software’s.
- Re Tweet this post using the Re-Tweet button (optional).
- Leave a comment on this post with your Name and email id used for subscription.
Entries will be accepted till February 1st, 2010.
Joomla! is an award winning Content Management System(CMS) with a wide range of features. It’s a prolific CMS which is suitable for designing and maintaining any type of websites. Joomla has a modular architecture, providing the users with lots of options for extensibility. Apart from the fabulous modules, it is also well known for strong security, templating system, extensive community support and the authorization framework.
There are many extensions available for Joomla! like plug-ins and modules to extend the functionality of Joomla!. These extensions provide – further options for customization, enhancing the functionality as well as ease of administration.
You might want to integrate technologies such as Flash into Joomla!, as it provides great features for creating stunning graphics, interactive games, animated objects and alike to add a new flavor to your site.
The book, Joomla! with Flash, is aimed at explaining how to use Flash objects with Joomla! content with minimal efforts and maximum output.
Paperback 260 pages [191mm x 235mm]
Release date October 2009
ISBN 13 978-1-847198-24-2
Author(s) Suhreed Sarkar
Topics and Technologies Content Management, PHP/MySQL, Open Source, Joomla!
This book enables you to build interactive and content-rich web sites with Joomla! 1.5 and Flash CS4.
- You can build stunning web site(s) and integrate Flash objects into Joomla!
- Joomla! with Flash gives you step-by-step guidelines on how to create stunning photo galleries with Flash transition and animation effects
- The books also includes explanation on, how to use interactive Flash-based maps, animations, videos, charts, MP3 players, logos, headers, and banners in Joomla!-based web sites
- Contains easy to follow guides with enriched screenshots for better understanding.
- After going through the book, you can renovate your Joomla! based web site into an interactive, feature-rich multimedia site
The Joomla project has recently announced the immediate availability of its new release, Joomla 1.5.15 codenamed “Wojmamni ama mamni”.
The key features and changes made in this release include,
Two security issues were fixed in this release:
- Moderate Priority – Core – Front-End Editing.
- Low Priority – Core – XML File View.
- Allowed search to use the Itemid of the current Menu Item
- Removed unnecessary quotes in search results
- Fixed problem when using relative URL’s in editor with SEF enabled.
- Fixed formatting problem in Category List layout with Internet Explorer
- Fixed problem with entering HTML in user confirmation messages
- Fixed Media Manager issues in Windows
- Fixed problem with Archived Article filters when cache is enabled
- Fixed RSS feed problem with ampersand in page title
- Allowed underscore character in menu names
- Fixed problem with mod_newsflash and altenative read-more text
- Fixed problem with Alias Menu Item Type not opening in new window
- Fixed problem with UTF-8 characters in breadcrumbs
- Fixed problem with email cloaking and non-ASCII characters
- Fixed TinyMCE configuration error
- Fixed problem with multiple editor instances on one page
- Fixed problem whereby TinyMCE stripped some image HTML
- Fixed TinyMCE Extended Valid Elements problem
- Fixed problem with TinyMCE blockquote
- Allowed Firefox inline spell check to work in TinyMCE
- Fixed problem saving changes in TinyMCE
- Fixed TinyMCE problem with caption.js and filtering
- Fixed TinyMCE bullet issue with Internet Explorer
- Made image title names consistent in front and back end
- Fixed issue with email cloaking and images
- Fixed problem in email cloaking syntax
- Fixed caption alignment when image alignment is not set
- Added option to create templates in TinyMCE editor
- Fixed problem with TinyMCE Sql
- Fixed problem with email cloaking when using images
- Fixed problem with missing template CSS files
- Fixed problem with linked images in Beez template
- Added default text color for backend error messages
- Added missing spinner.gif
- Fixed problem when copying Beez template to new name
- Fixed error in JA_Purity template with Internet Explorer 8
- Added TinyMCE Language file for Toggle Editor button
- Added Ulaanbaatar in timezones
- Fixed problem with localisation of pagination strings
- Added missing Display # language string
- Added missing com_media language strings
- Improved tooltip text for mod_search
- Fixed problem with version information for core languages
- Fixed problem with FTP fields auto-completing
- Don’t show password in configuration.php file
- Fixed problem when Itemid does not exist
- Fixed PHP 5.3 compatibility issues
- Fixed problem with caching for com_weblinks and com_contact
- Fixed additional PHP 5.3 compatibility issues
- Fixed problem with warnings in system_config.php file
- Added missing JEXEC checks in code
- Fixed problem converting UTF-8 characters to ASCII
- Added option to disallow users to view extension XML files
- Fixed problem with onAfterDisplayTitle event and PHP 5.3
- Fixed problem with displaying error messages with right-to-left languages
Downloads Joomla 1.5.15 here.
The Joomla project has recently announced the immediate availability of its new release, Joomla 1.6 alpha 2. This release contains many new features requested by the community. Other features are listed below as well as what you can expect in the future for Joomla 1.6.
This is an alpha release. It is intended to be a developer/hobbyist preview and is not intended to be used on a production web site.
New improvements/features since alpha 1 include:
- ACL: access management for global permissions as well as content item specific permissions, variable user-groups, users member of more than one user-group, permissions are inherited, really fast
- Extendable user profile, profile view in frontend, extendable user parameters
- Improved com_content modules (mod_articles_archive, mod_articles_latest, mod_articles_popular)
- Article linker plugin for editors
- New frontend template (atomic)
- Tableless com_content layouts
- New backend template (bluestork)
- New uploader for media manager
Other Joomla 1.6 improvements that existed in alpha 1:
- Mootools 1.2
- Refactored back-end
- Nested Categories and category parameters
- New views in front-end: categories, category
- Lots of small code improvements, almost cut the code size in half while adding to the functionality
- PHP 5.2 required, huge performance improvements, partially eaten up by new features => 1.6 will be faster than 1.5
Download Joomla here
It’s been a week since Joomla 1.5.13 has been released. Now, The Joomla Project announced the immediate availability of Joomla 1.5.14 codenamed ‘Wojmamni ama naiki’. This release contains fixes for two material bugs that were introduced in version 1.5.13 and one low level security issue.
Here are some of the key fixes and improvements the community has made to this current release:
One low-level security issue was fixed in this release:
- Low Priority – Core – com_mailto Timeout. You might want to read more about it here.
- Fixed error message in Media Manager (17319)
- Fixed callback error message in TinyMCE editor (17323)
About Joomla content management system (CMS)
Joomla! is an award-winning Content Management System (CMS) that will help you build websites and other powerful online applications. Joomla! is an open source software solution available to everybody for free. Joomla! is used all over the world to power everything from simple personal homepages to complex corporate and e-commerce web applications.
Joomla! can be used to easily manage every aspect of your website (adding content and images, updating a product catalog, taking online reservations, etc.). Joomla CMS can be enhanced by add-ons written by third party developers, Joomla extensions directory can be found here.
Learn more about Joomla! here.
The Joomla Project, which recently celebrated 10 million downloads has announced the immediate availability of Joomla 1.5.12, code named ‘Wojmamni Ama Woi’. This release contains a number of bug fixes and three moderate-level security fixes.
This release marks an important milestone for the Joomla Project due to the upgrade of the PEAR library to the new BSD licensed version, which brings the code base into full compliance with the GPL.
In addition, this release contains an important upgrade to TinyMCE v 22.214.171.124. The Production Working Group’s goal is to continue to provide regular, frequent updates to the Joomla community.
Here are some of the fixes and improvements the community has made to this current release:
- Category List Layout sorts correctly.
- Category List Layout HTML error resolved.
- Minimum User Level for Media Manager works correctly for Editors submitting Articles.
- Article Manager shows non-duplicated Page Titles with Page Breaks.
- Section Filter for Content Component correctly lists only Article Categories.
- Reverted escaping of miscellaneous information field in com_contact.
- Update to TinyMCE 126.96.36.199.
- Updated installer SQL to correspond with TinyMCE upgrade.
- Added missing language strings for TinyMCE after initial upgrade.
- CSS files save correctly when edited using Template Manager.
- Upgraded PEAR with a newer version that has BSD licensing.
- PHPMailer allows secure connections to SMTP Servers.
- File::upload() uses chmod 644 in FTP mode.
- Tooltips correctly encoded.
- Reverted detailed module caching fix.
If you haven’t tried Joomla! yet, you can check out the online demo.
Source: Joomla Announcements
After years in the making, Pligg, the PHP/MySQL open source social networking content management system, reached the official version 1.0.0.
It took small baby steps to reach this version and probably it will the same baby steps to reach the version 2.0.
But we can’t complain: the software is free and open source (still).
Pligg combines social bookmarking, blogging, and syndication and a democratic editorial system which enables users to collaboratively submit and vote articles.
Sounds like Digg? Well, it is a Digg clone.
Pligg was founded by Yankidank (this is a nickname) and is headed by the lead developer AshDigg (another nickname). It was originally an English translation of Menéame’s source code when it was released in early December 2005 (Menéame being a Spanish CMS created by Ricardo Galli and was inspired by Digg). In December 2005, the name Pligg was added to differentiate from the Spanish version. Since then Pligg has now expanded from just a translation of that Spanish CMS to a very popular CMS system.
This new version is more secure and stable than the previous (obviously) but also packs more features:
- groups feature
- re-vamped admin panel
- new languages: English, German and Thai (more languages to be added by volunteers)
- more database optimization making it more scalable
- pages feature
- upload module
- SEO updates
- many new modules included…
Tu run this software you need to have at least PHP 4 (version 5 recommended) and MySQL database (both open source).
Pligg website also offers the possibility to customize more the software by buying templates and modules developed by Pligg developers themselves.
Interesting is that Pligg generated a fork named SocialWebCMS, pretty much like Mambo CMS generated a very succesful fork named Joomla! . Since then Joomla! surpassed Mambo in popularity shortly after launching. Will SocialWebCMS do the same to Pligg? Remains to be seen…
Joomla, one of the popular Open Source content management systems, which we have mentioned here, celebrates a remarkable accomplishment in the Open Source world today – 10 millionth download.
Since it’s first release in 2005, Joomla has grown exponentially as one of the most powerful publishing platforms.
With Joomla 1.6 yet to be released, the Joomla team states that,
Development is underway on the next generation content management system, which will enable you, our faithful users, to achieve new heights and hopefully accomplish another 10 million downloads.
Source: Joomla Annoncements