Concrete5, an open source content management system has recently released its new version 5.4 with some major feature updates. You might want to go through more about Concrete5 here. Following are some of the major features updates in this new release.
- Improved layouts and design: with a new layouts engine that lets areas be split into columns, allows for saving layouts into presets. This updated design engine lets areas and blocks take custom designs, and allows for saving of designs into presets.
- This version of Concrete5 has a better marketplace integration. It provides you with better search/filtering from within concrete5 dashboard. You can connect your web site once, rather than continuously login with your concrete5 account. You can also get support from your add-ons from a project page.
- Improved Editing Experience: It makes adding and editing of blocks, updating page properties easy through AJAX, without having to reload pages. Add Block Overlay can be filtered using the keyboard, ala OS X Spotlight/Google Live Search.
- One click upgrade, including the ability to download updates, and upgrade to them when you wish.
- Core updates, addon updates, news and guide updates are unified in system notifications, which are available from the dashboard home page and a new notifications area.
- Improved Sitemap performance, including a new sitemap “explore” mode that offers paging.
- Better Permissions: Added task-based permissions, including the ability to set who can log in as another user, edit page defaults, perform database backups, access the sitemap, un-install packages and search users.
Major Performance Improvements include,
- As ‘Page list’ and ‘Autonav’ blocks were causing problems when previewing on large sites – preview no longer loads on init in this release
- The loading performance of the dashboard has been improved by making feed load asynchronously.
- The number of queries have been cut down in this release, by using cache. Cache should now cache files, packages, page types, block types.
Read more about Concrete5 version 5.4 here.
Movable Type, an open source blog software, which we have reviewed here, has recently released its new version 5.01. Following are some of the highlights in this release.
Some long-awaited features like the following are made available in this release:
- User Dashboard for quick access to the most used blogs and websites
- Themes are provided with full support for custom fields, templates, static files, categories, folders, etc for blogs and websites
- Revision History for entries, pages, and templates
- Websites for grouping blogs together
- Custom Fields are made available for all objects
Movable Type 5.01 is available in English, Japanese, German, Spanish, Dutch and French.
Source: Movable Type blog
BuddyPress 1.1.3 has been released. This new release fixes a number of issues with the 1.1.2 release of BuddyPress.
Briefly, BuddyPress is a set of plugins and themes, which can be used to extend the functionality of WordPress MU and bring social networking features to a new or existing installation. These suite of plugins can be used either independently or cumulatively to create a complete social network. Some specific plugins could also be used to add desirable features to your existing blog network.
Following are the list of changes made since BuddyPress 1.1.2
- Fixed bug where joining a group via AJAX would fail to record in activity streams.
- Fixed bug with activation email when a site admin adds a user through the WordPress dashboard.
- Fixed bug where some plugins would break the activity stream formatting.
- Fixed bug where demotion of a member in a group would fail.
- Fixed bug where non-working delete links for activity stream items would show on friends activity stream.
- Fixed bug where some users could not delete their accounts, even if a site admin had turned the setting on.
- Fixed display issue with RSS feed link on user profiles.
- Fixed issues with duplicate CSS ID’s on activity stream items.
Source: BuddyPress community blog
Download BuddyPress here.
Movable Type, an open source blog software, which we have reviewed here has recently released its new version 5 RC 2. Following are some of the highlights in this release.
- A lot of work has been done by the Movable Type team to get the dynamic publishing in sync with the static publishing.
- Updates to the Professional blog templates have been made.
- Unbundling of Motion and Action Streams
- The Entry/Page “previous” and “next” container tags now account for entries/pages with the same date-time, rather than skipping them.
Movable Type, an open source blog software, which we have reviewed here has recently released its new version 5 RC 1. Included in this release is a new theme ‘Pico’ and many other bug fixes. The launch of Movable Type version 5 is targeted for late November.
Major Changes in this release,
- Added a new theme “Pico”.
- Bundle style repository with a theme.
Styles can also be bundled with a theme to easily offer different flavors of a theme. Styles are nothing but a combination of a stylesheet and images to bundle with a theme.
- Config directive
SQLSetNamesshould be specified as
mt-config.cgiwhen upgrading from older versions with MySQL 5.x and UTF-8
- Tip: When including templates inside a loop which is using multi-blog to aggregate content, blog_id should be specified with include tag to ensure proper template is included unless the template to include exists in each blog/site being aggregated.
Backup and Restore Issues Solved,
- When Backup/Restore all or website, manifest file cannot start restore.
- Backup/Restore drop the Following/Follower data
- CF: Backup/Restore customfields of Image object
- Backup/Restore: Association of assets CF of Category is wrong
- CF: Backup/Restore customfields of Blog/Website object
- Assets named in Japanese have garbage file name when backup
- [Restore] Website custom field is not restorable
- Restoring set wrong userpic
- manifest file : cannot upload
- [restore] folder/category custom field is not restored
- Website: Restored Facebook Commentes setting
- Restored data can get wrong Multiblog settings
Upgrade Issues Solved,
- Index templates are not published after upgrade from MT 3.21
- Upgrade remove all system templates of the blog whose template set is not Classic Blog
- Problems after upgrading a blog whose site/archive URL is ‘foo.com’
- Error when publishing templates after upgrading from 3.21
Theme and Template Issues Solved,
- Professional Website template doesn’t display Comment and Trackbacks
- Unable to display Professional Website template with Dynamic Publishing
- Warning messages are always shown when applying a theme that contains a custom fields
- No warning messages show up when theme cannot add a custom fields
- Item customfield tag is escaped in community template
- mt:WebsiteIfCommentsOpen doesn’t work in dynamic publishing
- mt:Websites with exclude_websites doesn’t work (static/dynamic)
- Template refresh doesn’t respect blog language.
- View Published Template link doesn’t work when Output file include directory
- IE: Comment Pagination doesn’t work
- Comment Pagination doesn’t work on Community Blog template
- Pagination of Main Index
- Dynamic: Publish mt.js by dynamic generate error
- Fixing issue on Ajax pagination.
- mt:Include doesn’t work in some situations
- mt:Blogs doesn’t work in dynamic publishing
- Professional blog doesn’t work on dynamic
- Professional Website: Comment form is blank on Comment Preview
Movable Type, an open source blog software, which we have reviewed here has recently released its new version 5 beta 4. Included in this release is the first website theme for the “Professional Website Theme” and many other bug fixes. Movable Type team mentioned that Beta 4 will be the last beta before there are two release candidates. And, the launch of Movable Type version 5 is targeted for late November.
Some of the major improvements in this release are,
- “Professional Website Theme” is added as a new theme
- WebsiteLabel has changed to WebsiteName
- Remove the definition of active users from app
- Keep a compatibility of plugins
- Create “MultiBlog Trigger” for “All blogs in this website”
- MultiBlog Trigger also for “Pages” not only for “Entries”
- UI: “Created, Published, Edited” date and time of the entry
- DOC: FastCGI: Unable to access with XML-RPC
Download the Movable Type version 5 Beta 4.
OpenX, one of the popular ad server software’s (mentioned here) has recently announced its new version 2.8.2. Briefly, OpenX is a free open source ad server software downloadable and installable on your server.
OpenX let you choose banners, campaigns and terms that fits you best. It has a sophisticated tracking system which lets you gather statistics and optimize the results. It enables you to take effective control of your advertising without having to spend much.
- Improvements to ad delivery: With OpenX 2.8.2, a number of changes to the delivery engine have been made to ensure the proper allocation of ads across contract campaigns. The resulting improvements will reduce the occurrence of under-delivery and over-delivery for all contract campaigns. This includes significant changes to maintenance as well as improvements to delivery.
- Improvements to campaigns using companion positioning: Prior to this new release, once a “companion” campaign served one ad on a page, it prevented any other campaigns from serving ads on the page, regardless of whether the companion campaign could fill all of the pages and ads itself. In OpenX 2.8.2, this behavior has been fixed, so if there are ads on the page that the companion campaign is unable to serve, they will be offered to other campaigns. This helps you to avoid serving blanks.
- Security updates: The OpenX team has completed a number of critical security updates to the ad server in OpenX 2.8.2 to reduce any potential vulnerabilities in the software.
- Resolution of a variety of issues relating to email/newsletter zones, performance, the user interface, and more.
If you haven’t tried out OpenX yet, you might want to check out the getting started with OpenX tutorial here.
Download OpenX here.
Movable Type, an open source blog software, which we have reviewed here has released its new version 5 beta 3. It includes many improvements and has various new user interface elements. Movable Type team mentioned that Beta 4 will be the last beta before there are two release candidates. And, the launch of Movable Type version 5 is targeted for late November.
Some of the major improvements in this release are,
- Automatic website provisioning based upon blog domain names during upgrade from MT4.x and MT3.x
- Allow sub-domain blogs under one single website.
- Selected tab is saved on “Websites and Blogs” widget on the user dashboard, so once the user clicks the “blogs” tab, this tab will be selected upon subsequent visits.
- Create New shortcut button on Website/Blog dashboard.
- Cleaner and simpler User Dashboard.
- Improved menu and button placement on [Edit Entry/Page] screens.
- Download a zipped theme file when user [Exports Theme].
- Display “SSI” enable/disable status icon on template listing screens.
- Display links to published pages when user searches templates.
- Do not create any sample pages when user create a new website or blog.
- Motion and Action Stream template-sets are unbundled from Pro pack. These should be re-arranged to themes or addons.
Read more about the updates in this release here.
Download the Movable Type version 5 Beta here.
BuddyPress, is a set of plugins and themes, which can be used to extend the functionality of WordPress MU and bring social networking features to a new or existing installation. These suite of plugins can be used either independently or cumulatively to create a complete social network. Some specific plugins could also be used to add desirable features to your existing blog network.
BuddyPress has recently released its new version 1.1. This new release includes a substantial number of core code improvements as well as an array of useful new features.
Some highlights of this version are:
- One click internal bbPress forum integration. This allows you to set up group forums in no time.
- A global forum directory (example) allowing you to easily browse public facing forum posts regardless of the group they are attached to.
- Completely re-written theme handling. Now, one theme controls all of your installation. There is no hidden HTML and everything is in the template ready for you to tweak.
- Easily create themes that are upgraded automatically when BuddyPress is updated.
- Total site administrator control of all content within an installation. Edit user’s profiles, update avatars, mark users as spammers, manage all groups, delete site activity entries.
- Activity streams everywhere. Activity streams can be filtered allowing for feature specific activity streams or adding an activity stream to your custom plugin.
- A new status updates feature is included in BuddyPress 1.1. Actions and filters are included to allow plugin developers to hook into any external service.
- An awesome group extension API allowing developers to easily extend groups and add completely new features.
Download the latest version of BuddyPress here.
Movable Type, an open source blog software, which we have reviewed here has released its new version 4.32.
MT4.32 has fixed some of the minor bugs from the previous releases. And, MT4.32 is now bundled with the Zemanta plugin. Zemanta can be very helpful in the case where you need an image, links to related articles, help with tags for an entry, etc., to have a more compelling blog entry.
You might want to check out the Zemanta FAQ for more details on how Zemanta’s services may be useful for you or your bloggers. You can disable the Zemanta plugin based on your needs. There are many ways to disable the Zemanta plugin additionally anyone with file-system access can remove the Zemanta plugin from the
plugins directory within the MT install.
Check out the bug fixes and other minor updates in Movable Type Version 4.32 here.
Source: Movale Type blog