The Joomla project has recently announced the immediate availability of its new release, Joomla 1.5.15 codenamed “Wojmamni ama mamni”.
The key features and changes made in this release include,
Two security issues were fixed in this release:
- Moderate Priority – Core – Front-End Editing.
- Low Priority – Core – XML File View.
- Allowed search to use the Itemid of the current Menu Item
- Removed unnecessary quotes in search results
- Fixed problem when using relative URL’s in editor with SEF enabled.
- Fixed formatting problem in Category List layout with Internet Explorer
- Fixed problem with entering HTML in user confirmation messages
- Fixed Media Manager issues in Windows
- Fixed problem with Archived Article filters when cache is enabled
- Fixed RSS feed problem with ampersand in page title
- Allowed underscore character in menu names
- Fixed problem with mod_newsflash and altenative read-more text
- Fixed problem with Alias Menu Item Type not opening in new window
- Fixed problem with UTF-8 characters in breadcrumbs
- Fixed problem with email cloaking and non-ASCII characters
- Fixed TinyMCE configuration error
- Fixed problem with multiple editor instances on one page
- Fixed problem whereby TinyMCE stripped some image HTML
- Fixed TinyMCE Extended Valid Elements problem
- Fixed problem with TinyMCE blockquote
- Allowed Firefox inline spell check to work in TinyMCE
- Fixed problem saving changes in TinyMCE
- Fixed TinyMCE problem with caption.js and filtering
- Fixed TinyMCE bullet issue with Internet Explorer
- Made image title names consistent in front and back end
- Fixed issue with email cloaking and images
- Fixed problem in email cloaking syntax
- Fixed caption alignment when image alignment is not set
- Added option to create templates in TinyMCE editor
- Fixed problem with TinyMCE Sql
- Fixed problem with email cloaking when using images
- Fixed problem with missing template CSS files
- Fixed problem with linked images in Beez template
- Added default text color for backend error messages
- Added missing spinner.gif
- Fixed problem when copying Beez template to new name
- Fixed error in JA_Purity template with Internet Explorer 8
- Added TinyMCE Language file for Toggle Editor button
- Added Ulaanbaatar in timezones
- Fixed problem with localisation of pagination strings
- Added missing Display # language string
- Added missing com_media language strings
- Improved tooltip text for mod_search
- Fixed problem with version information for core languages
- Fixed problem with FTP fields auto-completing
- Don’t show password in configuration.php file
- Fixed problem when Itemid does not exist
- Fixed PHP 5.3 compatibility issues
- Fixed problem with caching for com_weblinks and com_contact
- Fixed additional PHP 5.3 compatibility issues
- Fixed problem with warnings in system_config.php file
- Added missing JEXEC checks in code
- Fixed problem converting UTF-8 characters to ASCII
- Added option to disallow users to view extension XML files
- Fixed problem with onAfterDisplayTitle event and PHP 5.3
- Fixed problem with displaying error messages with right-to-left languages
Downloads Joomla 1.5.15 here.
The Joomla project has recently announced the immediate availability of its new release, Joomla 1.6 alpha 2. This release contains many new features requested by the community. Other features are listed below as well as what you can expect in the future for Joomla 1.6.
This is an alpha release. It is intended to be a developer/hobbyist preview and is not intended to be used on a production web site.
New improvements/features since alpha 1 include:
- ACL: access management for global permissions as well as content item specific permissions, variable user-groups, users member of more than one user-group, permissions are inherited, really fast
- Extendable user profile, profile view in frontend, extendable user parameters
- Improved com_content modules (mod_articles_archive, mod_articles_latest, mod_articles_popular)
- Article linker plugin for editors
- New frontend template (atomic)
- Tableless com_content layouts
- New backend template (bluestork)
- New uploader for media manager
Other Joomla 1.6 improvements that existed in alpha 1:
- Mootools 1.2
- Refactored back-end
- Nested Categories and category parameters
- New views in front-end: categories, category
- Lots of small code improvements, almost cut the code size in half while adding to the functionality
- PHP 5.2 required, huge performance improvements, partially eaten up by new features => 1.6 will be faster than 1.5
Download Joomla here
dotCMS, enterprise open source Java content management system announced recently that they have released a Windows installer for version 1.7 of their open source web content management system. This release makes it much easier to access the features of dotCMS. dotCMS windows installer is the easiest way to get started with the dotCMS system.
Streamlining the installation process is important for making the product more accessible.
“It is important to dotCMS that users of all technical levels are given the tools to get dotCMS up and running in a timely manner, “ said Will Ezell, CTO and principal of dotCMS. “We are working hard to meet the growing and evolving expectations of our marketplace, and will continue to do so.”
The Windows installer can be downloaded from the dotCMS website downloads page. The download includes all you need to get started, including the Java runtime environment, Postgresql database, Tomcat and the dotCMS system itself.
Movable Type, an open source blog software, which we have reviewed here has released its new version 5 beta 3. It includes many improvements and has various new user interface elements. Movable Type team mentioned that Beta 4 will be the last beta before there are two release candidates. And, the launch of Movable Type version 5 is targeted for late November.
Some of the major improvements in this release are,
- Automatic website provisioning based upon blog domain names during upgrade from MT4.x and MT3.x
- Allow sub-domain blogs under one single website.
- Selected tab is saved on “Websites and Blogs” widget on the user dashboard, so once the user clicks the “blogs” tab, this tab will be selected upon subsequent visits.
- Create New shortcut button on Website/Blog dashboard.
- Cleaner and simpler User Dashboard.
- Improved menu and button placement on [Edit Entry/Page] screens.
- Download a zipped theme file when user [Exports Theme].
- Display “SSI” enable/disable status icon on template listing screens.
- Display links to published pages when user searches templates.
- Do not create any sample pages when user create a new website or blog.
- Motion and Action Stream template-sets are unbundled from Pro pack. These should be re-arranged to themes or addons.
Read more about the updates in this release here.
Download the Movable Type version 5 Beta here.
Movable Type, an open source blog software, which we have reviewed here has released its new version 4.32.
MT4.32 has fixed some of the minor bugs from the previous releases. And, MT4.32 is now bundled with the Zemanta plugin. Zemanta can be very helpful in the case where you need an image, links to related articles, help with tags for an entry, etc., to have a more compelling blog entry.
You might want to check out the Zemanta FAQ for more details on how Zemanta’s services may be useful for you or your bloggers. You can disable the Zemanta plugin based on your needs. There are many ways to disable the Zemanta plugin additionally anyone with file-system access can remove the Zemanta plugin from the
plugins directory within the MT install.
Check out the bug fixes and other minor updates in Movable Type Version 4.32 here.
Source: Movale Type blog
Gallery, an open source web based photo album organizer, which we have recently reviewed has released its new version 3.0 beta 3. Gallery 3 is based on 4 key principles, keeping it small, intuitive, fast and extensible. Gallery 3 is 4.5 MB with all of its features, which is significantly less in size compared to other similar applications.
The key features in this new release include,
- Configurable custom URLs for each album, photo or movie
- Greatly improved user interface for administration pages
- Systematic fixes for Cross Site Security (XSS) vulnerabilities.
- New, extensible context menus for albums, photos and movies.
- Better support for viewing full size images
- Rewritten Organize module. It’s got a little less functionality now, but it’s much cleaner and will be a primary focus for the next release.
- Tags are now searchable
- Much improved bidirectional language support
phpBB one of the popular open source forum softwares has announced the immediate availability of the first release candidate for its next release – phpBB 3.0.6. phpBB 3.0.6 contains a many more features, bug fixes and changes than previous releases.
Following is a list of the major new features implemented in phpBB 3.0.6:
- Backported 3.2 captcha plugins:
- Classic and GD CAPTCHA
- Q&A CAPTCHA
- 3D Wave
- Introduced new ACM plugins:
- null (to disable caching completely)
- ATOM Feeds
- bare-bones Quick Reply editor in viewtopic
- Users can report PMs to moderators which are then visible in a new MCP module
- Ability to copy permissions from one forum to several other forums.
- Send statistical information (anonymously) about PHP and phpBB configuration to help improve phpBB.
Movable Type, an open source blog software, which we have reviewed here, has officially released its new version 5 Beta. Movable Type 5 focused on three major feature areas: websites, themes and CMS. Below is a summary of each,
- New “website” object
- Blogs are associated to websites
- Pages can be added to websites
- Rebuild website separately from the contained blogs.
- App UI has the ability to move blogs between websites.
- Apply a theme with a single click and then rebuild the blog/website to apply changes to published website.
- Themes contain: templates, style-sheets, static files (images), widgets, categories, folders, and custom fields.
- Themes for websites and blogs.
- Install themes just like plugins.
- Export theme from current blog and optionally include all or a subset of the custom fields, static files, categories, and templates currently associated with the website or blog.
OpenGoo, an easy to use open source web office software, which we have reviewed here, has just released its new version 1.5.1. In brief, OpenGoo is a web office software that allows a group of people to collaborate by sharing information over the Internet. It is a complete solution for every organization to create, collaborate, share and publish all its internal and external documents. You can plan and manage all your projects, easily following the status of every task, set milestones, pending tasks, personal notes etc.,
Several bugs from version 1.5 were fixed for this release, including:
- Tags permissions: Now a user can only see tags applied to objects that the user can view.
- Custom properties defined in Administration are now searchable.
- Memory exhausted error when rendering repetitive tasks with an old date in the calendar.
- Fatal error “undefined function save FileAttributes” when uploading a file.
- Fixed default user preferences’ rendered value.
- Fixed a rendering problem in comments and descriptions that would skip a character before an email address or link.
- Tags query was using a hardcoded ‘og_’ table prefix.
- Fixed the permissions control when editing a workspace’s permissions.
- Fixed a small rendering problem with invited users in event edition.
- Fixed error when sending emails to empty recipients.
- Translate OpenGoo tool now includes subfolders of language folders. Checklang also improved.
- Files of type audio/mp3 are now correctly identified as MP3.
- Updated languages.
You might want to check out a demo of Opengoo here.
Download OpenGoo 1.5.1 here.
It’s been a week since Joomla 1.5.13 has been released. Now, The Joomla Project announced the immediate availability of Joomla 1.5.14 codenamed ‘Wojmamni ama naiki’. This release contains fixes for two material bugs that were introduced in version 1.5.13 and one low level security issue.
Here are some of the key fixes and improvements the community has made to this current release:
One low-level security issue was fixed in this release:
- Low Priority – Core – com_mailto Timeout. You might want to read more about it here.
- Fixed error message in Media Manager (17319)
- Fixed callback error message in TinyMCE editor (17323)
About Joomla content management system (CMS)
Joomla! is an award-winning Content Management System (CMS) that will help you build websites and other powerful online applications. Joomla! is an open source software solution available to everybody for free. Joomla! is used all over the world to power everything from simple personal homepages to complex corporate and e-commerce web applications.
Joomla! can be used to easily manage every aspect of your website (adding content and images, updating a product catalog, taking online reservations, etc.). Joomla CMS can be enhanced by add-ons written by third party developers, Joomla extensions directory can be found here.
Learn more about Joomla! here.