Recently we reviewed Artisteer which is a prolific web design automation product that helps you create fantastic custom website templates and blog themes with ease. With Artisteer you can easily become an expert in web designing, editing graphics, coding XHTML and CSS, creating templates for Joomla, WordPress, Drupal and other CMS in minutes without the need of much technical skills.
We are glad to inform you that we are giving away two licenses for Artisteer – Home and Academic Edition.
Three simple rules to be eligible,
- Subscribe to our Email newsletter to stay updated with the latest news and reviews related to web software.
- Re Tweet this post using the Re-Tweet button (Optional).
- Leave a comment on this post with your Name and email id used for subscription.
Anyone can participate in the contest and each of the two lucky winners will be rewarded with a license for Artisteer – Home and Academic Edition, web design automation software.
Entries will be accepted till November 30th, 2009.
Artisteer is a prolific web design automation product that helps you easily create fantastic custom website templates and blog themes. With Artisteer you can easily become an expert in web designing, editing graphics, coding XHTML and CSS, creating templates for Joomla, WordPress, Drupal and other CMS in minutes without the need of much technical skills.
- Create WordPress theme designs in minutes
- Export created themes to Blogger, Joomla, WordPress and other Content Management Systems
- Choose and use many included design elements, from backgrounds to photo objects and buttons.
- Design themes without any need to learn Photoshop, CSS, HTML or other technologies
Artisteer has an easy-to-use interface with a wide range of options to customize the look and feel of your template. The changes you make in the menu options are instantly reflected in the preview. This allows you to change the design or further enhance your template according to you needs.
OpenGoo, an easy to use open source web office software, which we have reviewed here, has just released its new version 1.6. In brief, OpenGoo is a web office software that allows a group of people to collaborate by sharing information over the Internet. It is a complete solution for every organization to create, collaborate, share and publish all its internal and external documents. You can plan and manage all your projects, easily following the status of every task, set milestones, pending tasks, personal notes etc.,
This is the first beta release towards version 1.6 final.
The most important changes for this version are:
Archive objects and workspaces:
- When you no longer need an object or workspace you can archive it to remove it from your every day views, while it still is searchable and accessible through the “Archived Objects” workspace.
Mark as read/unread for all types of objects
- Until now the read/unread functionality was only available for emails. Now it is also available for all other types of content objects. If an object was modified since your last view it will be marked in bold for you to quickly notice that it has changes. Once you view the object it will be marked as read.
Tons of improvements to the email module
- Share mail accounts among several users. This allows several users to read or write email from one common email account.
- Assign a workspace to a mail account to automatically classify email to that workspace.
- Group emails into conversations. Quickly access an email’s replies or original message from the email’s view.
- Attach files directly from your computer when writing an email.
- Send other emails as attachments. Just attach an email and mark the “Attach contents” checkbox.
- Email Junk folder. Mail classified as spam by your mail server is sent to the “Junk” folder.
- Emails are sent asynchronously. You can continue working on OpenGoo while an email is being sent. Useful if sending email through a remote SMTP server.
- Create task from email. Shortcut to quickly create a task from an email.
- Insert inline images into OpenGoo emails.
- Pre-configurations for known emails (GMail, Hotmail, Yahoo) when setting up an email account.
Upgraded the document editor
- Improved loading times. The new version loads much faster on all browsers.
- Improved cross-browser compatibility.
- Improved functionality. Insert images into a document, from the computer or from OpenGoo.
Lots of other improvements and bug fixes have been made in this release, read more.
You might want to check out a demo of Opengoo here.
The developers just announced a new stable version of FluxBB: 1.2.22
This new version fixes a critical XSS vulnerability from the previous version, along other small fixes. Soon, the team will release the new major version 1.4, which now is in the beta testing.
FluxBB is a PHP/MySQL forum software and, of course, it’s open source (GNU). FluxBB was designed to be fast and light with less of the “not so essential” features that some of the other forums have.
Download the stable version and the beta version here.
OpenGoo, an easy to use open source web office software, which we have reviewed here, has just released its new version 1.5.1. In brief, OpenGoo is a web office software that allows a group of people to collaborate by sharing information over the Internet. It is a complete solution for every organization to create, collaborate, share and publish all its internal and external documents. You can plan and manage all your projects, easily following the status of every task, set milestones, pending tasks, personal notes etc.,
Several bugs from version 1.5 were fixed for this release, including:
- Tags permissions: Now a user can only see tags applied to objects that the user can view.
- Custom properties defined in Administration are now searchable.
- Memory exhausted error when rendering repetitive tasks with an old date in the calendar.
- Fatal error “undefined function save FileAttributes” when uploading a file.
- Fixed default user preferences’ rendered value.
- Fixed a rendering problem in comments and descriptions that would skip a character before an email address or link.
- Tags query was using a hardcoded ‘og_’ table prefix.
- Fixed the permissions control when editing a workspace’s permissions.
- Fixed a small rendering problem with invited users in event edition.
- Fixed error when sending emails to empty recipients.
- Translate OpenGoo tool now includes subfolders of language folders. Checklang also improved.
- Files of type audio/mp3 are now correctly identified as MP3.
- Updated languages.
You might want to check out a demo of Opengoo here.
Download OpenGoo 1.5.1 here.
OpenGoo, an easy to use open source web office software, which we have reviewed here, has released its new version 1.5 final. In brief, OpenGoo is a web office software that allows a group of people to collaborate by sharing information over the Internet. It is a complete solution for every organization to create, collaborate, share and publish all its internal and external documents. You can plan and manage all your projects, easily following the status of every task, set milestones, pending tasks, personal notes etc.
Many new features have been added to this release, lot of bug fixes have been made and it has been exhaustively tested by the OpenGoo community and development team.
The new features are:
Improvements in the Email module:
- Email attachments have been added. Now you can attach any type of object as a link in the email, or in case of files optionally attach the content.
- Email signature, allows you to define a text signature for each account.
- Email checking has been improved, which fixed many problems while fetching email through IMAP or POP3.
- When writing an email your progress will be automatically saved.
After years in the making, Pligg, the PHP/MySQL open source social networking content management system, reached the official version 1.0.0.
It took small baby steps to reach this version and probably it will the same baby steps to reach the version 2.0.
But we can’t complain: the software is free and open source (still).
Pligg combines social bookmarking, blogging, and syndication and a democratic editorial system which enables users to collaboratively submit and vote articles.
Sounds like Digg? Well, it is a Digg clone.
Pligg was founded by Yankidank (this is a nickname) and is headed by the lead developer AshDigg (another nickname). It was originally an English translation of Menéame’s source code when it was released in early December 2005 (Menéame being a Spanish CMS created by Ricardo Galli and was inspired by Digg). In December 2005, the name Pligg was added to differentiate from the Spanish version. Since then Pligg has now expanded from just a translation of that Spanish CMS to a very popular CMS system.
This new version is more secure and stable than the previous (obviously) but also packs more features:
- groups feature
- re-vamped admin panel
- new languages: English, German and Thai (more languages to be added by volunteers)
- more database optimization making it more scalable
- pages feature
- upload module
- SEO updates
- many new modules included…
Tu run this software you need to have at least PHP 4 (version 5 recommended) and MySQL database (both open source).
Pligg website also offers the possibility to customize more the software by buying templates and modules developed by Pligg developers themselves.
Interesting is that Pligg generated a fork named SocialWebCMS, pretty much like Mambo CMS generated a very succesful fork named Joomla! . Since then Joomla! surpassed Mambo in popularity shortly after launching. Will SocialWebCMS do the same to Pligg? Remains to be seen…
WordPress 2.8 ‘Baker‘ is now available as a full release. It has a whole bunch of new features and improvements to themes, widgets, taxonomies, and overall speed. And over 790 bugs have been fixed. Now you can now browse the entire theme directory and install a theme with one click right from your WordPress dashboard.
It also features the new CodePress editor which gives syntax highlighting, allowing you to make minor edits to themes or plugins from your dashboard. With the redesigned widgets interface, you can edit widgets easily, have multiple copies of the same widget, drag and drop widgets between sidebars, and save inactive widgets so you don’t lose all their settings.
The highlights of WordPress 2.8 include,
- New drag-and-drop widgets admin interface and new widgets API.
- Syntax highlighting and function lookup built into plugin and theme editors.
- Browse the theme directory and install themes from the admin with one click.
- Allow the dashboard widgets to be arranged in up to four columns.
- Allow configuring the number of items to show on management pages with an option in Screen Options.
- Support timezones and automatic daylight savings time adjustment.
- Faster loading of admin pages via script compression and concatenation.
You might want to go through the full list of over 180 new features, changes, upgrades, and improvements on the WordPress Codex.
Our upgrade went well, without a hitch (using the automatic update). But DO backup your database and files before upgrading, just in case.
Source: WordPress Development Blog
OpenGoo is an Open Source Web Office software that allows a group of people to collaborate by sharing information over the Internet. It is a complete solution for every organization to create, collaborate, share and publish all its internal and external documents (kind of Microsoft Office but on the web).
Members of an organization can create and collaborate on:
- Text documents
- Task Lists
- Web Links and
OpenGoo provides you with all the tools to manage the work of all the divisions of your company. You can plan and manage all your projects, easily following the status of every task, set milestones, pending tasks, personal notes etc.
OpenGoo can run on XAMPP installations. It can be installed, configured and used with Firefox 2+ and Internet Explorer 7+. It currently requires:
You might want to check out a demo of Opengoo here.
Step by Step Installation Guide
Here, I’m test installing Opengoo on localhost using XAMPP (an easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP and Perl. XAMPP is really very easy to install and to use – just download, extract and start.).
WordPress.com, one of the most used blog host, now allows users to post text and images by email. If you are at work with Outlook or on the move with a BlackBerry and wanted to publish at quick post, this feature can be extremely useful.
Post by Email, is simple to use.
From the new ‘My Blogs’ menu you can generate special email addresses. You can create as many email addresses as you need, one for each blog you have access to.
You can send email from any email client, whether in a browser, on your desktop, or from your cell phone and as much formatting will be retained as possible.
Your images will be included and automatically converted into thumbnails. If you include multiple images, they’ll be converted into a gallery.
Post by Email Features:
- Transcoding of any video files supported by the WordPress video player (mp4, mov, wmv, avi, mpg, and m4v).
- Add your email addresses directly into your address book using downloadable vCards. (You don’t even need to remember the address)
- Automatic notification of a published email post.
- Automatic removal of standard signature blocks, with support for manual removal of other signatures.
- Conversion of YouTube URLs into embedded videos.