WordPress, one of the popular open source content management systems is also widely popular for its community support. It has a vast directory of free themes and plugins. Earlier we have covered five handy WordPress plugins for Social Bookmarking and Image Galleries. Now, we are geared up with some handy Search Engine Optimization(SEO) plugins for WordPress.
This plugin will enable you to create an XML-Sitemap of your WordPress blog. It supports all of the WordPress generated pages(tags, categories, archives etc.,) as well as custom built pages. Each time you edit or create a post, your sitemap will be updated and all major search engines that support the sitemap protocol, like ASK.com, Google, MSN Search and YAHOO will be notified about the update.
In order to build the sitemap, you need to have write permissions to the root directory, where you WordPress blog is installed. It provides you with options to set priorities to posts, include/exclude specific pages and change the frequency of posts, static pages, categories etc., Once your sitemap is built it also displays the process time and the memory usage.
- User interface to customize all parameters like priorities etc.,
- Available in many languages.
- Generates automatically a sitemap for all types of WordPress pages.
- Calculates a priority for each post, based on the number of comments.
- Notifies Ask.com, Google, MSN Live Search and YAHOO about changes via ping.
- Includes a WordPress filter for other plugins which can add their pages to the sitemap.
- Generates a static XML file as well as a zipped version
This plugin optimizes your WordPress blog for Search Engines, so that you can achieve better ranking in the search results and thereby gain better traffic. It provides you with options to rewrite titles and choose the post title, category, page formats. You can even add additional post, home and page headers accordingly.
- Provides canonical URLs and fine tunes your page navigational links.
- It has a built-in API so that other plugins and themes can access and extend the functionality.
- It also provides SEO Integration for WP e-Commerce sites.
- Automatically generates META tags and optimizes your titles for search engines.
- You can override any title and set any META description and any META keywords you want.
- It has backward-compatibility with many other plugins, like Auto Meta, Ultimate Tag Warrior and others.
HeadSpace2 is an all-in-one meta-data manager for your WordPress blog. It enables you to configure every aspect of your site’s meta-data. You to configure meta-data for posts, pages, categories, homepage, author pages, search pages etc.,
You can define:
- Site name and site description.
- Tags/keywords, with suggested keywords.
- Descriptions and page titles.
- Custom themes – change your theme on each page!
- Custom plugins – load a plugin only on specific pages.
- No-index and no-follow meta tags.
- Follow/follow on archive, category, page, tag, and comment links.
It’s a WordPress optimization plugin which automatically updates all images with proper ALT and TITLE attributes. If your images on your blog do not have ALT and TITLE already set, SEO Friendly Images will add them according the options you set.
ALT attribute is an important part of SEO. It describes your image to search engine and when a user searches for a certain image this is a key determining factor for a match.
TITLE attribute plays a lesser role, but it is important for visitors as this text will automatically appear in the tool-tip when mouse is over the image.
The plugin options recognize two tags %title (post title) and %name (filename of the picture). By combining these two tags and additional words (photo, picture etc..) you can create relevant alt and title tags automatically for all images.
This plugin makes your post links short and SEO friendly. It removes common words that are not necessary for optimization of your blog post link. It doesn’t shorten your slug in a random manner, but it only deletes the words which are not important in terms of SEO.
The plugin has a list of common words, all the words that are in the list will be automatically removed from your post slug. These words are considered as un-important for your search engine ranking.
It provides you with an option to add or delete words from this list. You can specify how long you want your slugs to be. If your slug is longer than the number of character you specify, the plugin will automatically remove unnecessary words from it. You have the option to force removal of words from a slug even if the slug is shorter than the specified length.